Think you know the risks associated with breast cancer? Let’s take a closer look at the impact of early detection and access to treatment! To check out the infographic below, you can select it for a closer look or scroll below it for the text version.

👉 When you’re done, don’t forget to explore my Breast Cancer Awareness blog post series.

Dr. Ginde Breast Cancer Awareness Infographic

Text Version

💡 The More You Know

Mammography 👉  uses low-energy X-rays to examine breasts and detect lumps or abnormal growths. 

About 1 in 8 women in the U.S. will develop invasive breast cancer in their lifetime — mammograms are the ONLY method proven to reduce this with early detection.

Early detection is key 🔑

Early diagnoses and access to more (and less extensive!) treatment options equals increased chances of survival. Knowing sooner reduces your risk of dying from breast cancer by 25% to 30% or more

Are you at high risk for breast cancer? Schedule a mammography screening as soon as you can if you have:

  • Dense breasts
  • Family history of breast or ovarian cancer
  • Genetic mutations
  • Reproductive history

📈 Older = More Critical

The probability of developing breast cancer within 10 years is 1 in 68 after age 40, 1 in 43 after age 50 and 1 in 28 after age 60.

👩‍⚕️ Doctor’s orders: Start the conversation with your healthcare provider at 40 to define your risk and identify the right time to being annual mammograms.

No risk factors? No excuses — get your breasts checked! About 85% of breast cancers occur in women who have no family history of the disease.

🛑 Myth: It’s OK to miss mammograms 

✅ Truth: Missing even one mammogram screening can be FATAL

A 24-year study of almost 550,000 women found that women who skip even one mammography before a breast cancer diagnosis face a significantly higher risk of dying from cancer.

Remember: Mammograms correctly identify 87% of breast cancers at early stages. The remaining 13% can go undetected if you don’t pair regular clinical breast exams with mammograms.

Infographic provided by Dr. Savita Ginde.

Meet Dr. Savita Ginde

Dr. Savita Ginde is an advocate and thought leader for reproductive health and served as Chief Medical Officer of Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains for over 13 years. And, until very recently, she served as the Chief Healthcare Officer for STRIDE Community Health Center where she oversaw all of STRIDE’s healthcare services and led their COVID-19 vaccination efforts.